La Fraternelle – serving the islands for over 150 years
On October 16th 1820, a number of persons formed and constituted in this island of Guernsey a Society called La Fraternelle Mutual Fire Insurance Society with the object of being a mutual company and a guarantee against the danger of fire and lightning for their buildings, furniture, cattle and gathered crops (but excluding monies and documents) , for the term of three years. The said society was then renewed by terms of three and five years until the 1st October 1912. At the general meeting of the members held on 18th September 1912, it was resolved to renew the Society for an unlimited term to begin on 1st October 1912.
Today the cover for the society’s policy remains mostly unchanged but in 2003 it was decided to no longer offer cover for cattle, horses and small crafts. The cover has increased over the years and members can now include cover for Subsidence, Accidental Damage and All Risks.
In February 2005 a meeting was arranged between La Fraternelle and the Guernsey Alliance Insurance Society as they were looking to cease trading and it was agreed that La Fraternelle would take over their company on 1st December 2005. The 700 of the GAIS policies would then be merged into La Fraternelle. Four of their directors expressed a wish to join the board of Directors and they were accepted onto the board on 1st November 2005.
La Fraternelle operates in the Bailiwick of Guernsey either direct or through an agency with SPF Private Clients Ltd and Guernsey Insurance Brokers Ltd.
The current secretary/manager for the society is Jan Hawke who took over from John Wills in 2002. John had been the secretary for over 21 years until he retired but still remains on the board of directors for the society